This is a diary of what I cook and what I eat.

Tuesday 6 October 2009

One rather quick entry. I have just cooked a whole chicken with a spicy rice accompaniment and this is hands down the best recipe I've ever used. Who'd have thought the odd teaspoon of spice could equal such an immense flavour sensation.

Will be using new camera to upload pics soon.

Recipe for spicy chicken:

3/4 glugs of olive oil
1 large tablespoon of lemon juice
large pinch of maldon sea salt
1 level tsp paprika (I used hot but sweet is just as nice)
1 heaped tsp hot red chilli powder
1 pinch ground coriander
1 garlic clove- finely chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric
large pinch cracked black pepper

I rubbed the dry ingredients over the skin and tried to push it under the breast skin and then drizzled plenty of the oil over.
Roast according to the weight of the chicken and serve with some long grain rice which has been rinsed in cold water. Add a generous pinch of saffron and salt alongside a tsp of olive oil to separate the grains and boil in just enough water for 10 minutes.

If I had been out to the shops I might have had a fresh tomato salsa with it. Toms, pepper, chilli, red onion, garlic and skinned cucumber all finely chopped with a pinch of salt and pepper and a drizzle of good olive oil.

Its definitely rustic and easy and Michael Roux isn't exactly an advocate of it but I think it worked and for that reason I'll certainly make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment