This is a diary of what I cook and what I eat.

Tuesday 27 October 2009

A feast Indeed...



Its been some time since I visited my blog and for that there is no excuse however I have been off on holiday discovering more foodie delights to enhance my appreciation.


I attended just this weekend the Conwy Food Feast in North Wales and was not let down by its culinary genius with tasty samples of some of the finest foods from in and around the North Wales area. I watched some of the local food heros make some homely recipes with their traditional and more importantly, local ingredients.


A few stood out from the crowd and I'll let you in on what was in my shopping bag. I purchased some fantastic fudge produced in the Conwy area, some Halen Mon sea salt. This is fantastic sea salt which melts beautifully into sauces and is produced in the Anglesey area of North Wales. Daring to be different I bought the celery seed sea salt. This I will try with some pork fillet as it was demonstrated. Its flavour can be surprisingly subtle, although undoubtedly its scent is powerful and a quick dab on the finger can produce an overwhelmingly liquorice taste. Nevertheless I am in love with the salt!


Other purchases were smoked garlic from a local farm also producing various other types of garlic including elephant and pink varieties. I also indulged in some smoked chicken from the LLandudno smokery. This is a fantastic product and very , very tasty. It can certainly brighten up a salad but its exceedingly good when served with some decent pasta.
Besides this I was literally wowed by the variety of people producing food which had so much dedication to producing the best quality and finest representation of North Wales.
The overall message of the weekend was that of buying your local ingredients and investing in food which is of good quality and, if you can get it, produced on your doorstep.

No comments:

Post a Comment