This is a diary of what I cook and what I eat.

Wednesday 12 May 2010

Chorizo and chicken spaghetti with a white wine and tomato sauce

I am a massive fan of chorizo both as an ingredient and eaten by itself. And wierdly enough my partner with his not to discerning taste has become so obsessed with chorizo that he actually looks miserable at the mention of me using an alternative cured meat for our fortnightly home made pizzas.


 I tend to use it in my everyday cooking as a consequence of this, which some of you may have already seen in my bolognaise recipe. I use it in soups, stews, pastas, risottos and even use it with meaty fishes such as monkfish as a stuffing or topping.


What the chorizo provides for me, I think this is probably why Mr Foodie loves it so, is a delicate spice and aroma, especially if you choose to buy the variety with the spicy paprika added. 


In this particular simple recipe for chicken and chorizo spaghetti the flavour lends itself to the absorbing quality of the chicken. The idea for me, is that the white meat of the chicken takes on the colour and taste of the chorizo so you pack in immense amounts of gutsy and tangy flavour without spending loads of time trying to get it.  You can use red wine for a richer colour and greater depth of flavour.




A perfect mid week meal


Serves 2

100g dried spaghetti
1 tbsp Olive oil
1 small red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 yellow pepper, thinly sliced
250ml passata
1 glass of white wine
pinch of sugar
generous pinch of sea salt flakes
150g chorizo, diced
2 chicken breast fillets, skins off and diced
1 tbsp mascarpone cheese



1. Gently fry the peppers in the olive oil over a moderate heat for five minutes or until you can see them gently 'wilting'.




2. Add the chorizo and chilli and fry for 1 minute


3. Add the chicken chunks and stir until the chorizo oil is coating the chicken. Fry for 4 minutes.


4. Add the glass of wine and fry for 30 seconds and then add the passata and turn the heat down. Simmer this sauce for 5-10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. At this time you should put the spaghetti to boil with some well salted water and cook till al dente. I also check to see how acidic the sauce tastes as passata can really vary. If you feel it is too acidic then add the pinch of sugar.


5. Add your spaghetti to the sauce and stir in the sea salt to taste and add your mascarpone and then stir well.

1 comment: